Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Eve

December 31, 2014

So today, my loves, I made a special journey just for you, risking life and limb. This morning after I woke up, bathed from a bucket, dressed, and stuffed my face with fresh, hot uppma, I rested. Then, after 10 am, when I knew things would be beginning to liven up here in Velachery, I ventured out.

Unlike the last few days, today was sunny and hot. I walked down Velachery Bye Pass Road to CafĂ© Coffee Day, which is a chain of coffee shops here in India. I got a cold coffee with ice cream, called Kappi Nirvana (“Kappi” is the Tamil version of coffee. There is no letter F in Tamil. ) Afterwards, I walked down to the sweets and spices shop, “Driving you Nuts,” it says on the sign in front, to buy some sweets and snacks. We will buy more to bring home tomorrow.

After making my purchases, the real adventure began: Crossing Bye Pass Road.

I mentioned before in the early days of this blog that the main rule of Indian traffic is that there are no rules. Or rather, that there are rules, but no one obeys them. There are crosswalks, but hardly any traffic lights. People drive the wrong way down the street , or in between lanes, or in bunches, weaving in and out without regard for others’ safety. Pedestrians are at the most risk, because even a bicycle can run them down.

Crossing the first time was made a little easier because a man was crossing at the same time. He moved between two motorcycles, and I followed him closely, but not too closely, because I didn’t want to be inappropriate.  I stood near him and followed, although I did continue to look around to make sure I was safe. People need to look all around them all the time to make sure they don’t get run over.

After I crossed Bye Pass Road, I had to walk back until I was just past where our flat is (but on the other side of the street.  There is a pizza place there, and just around the corner was what I was looking for. I had noticed it the other night on our way home, and knew I had to return. What was it I braved death to find you?




That’s right…COWS!
A lot with several cows. Sadly, in a city such as Chennai,
cows often eat garbage, as there is more garbage than grass.

A cute calf by the side of the road

This cow seemed interested in me and my iPad.

Got anything to eat?

Never mind then.

A man was trying to lead this calf away, but it was reluctant to go.

Later, as Raja and I were going out to hail an auto, I saw this cow
leisurely eating a fruit  on our side of the street!

Coming back across Bye Pass Road, I had to cross all by myself. I did see others crossing, but at quite a distance from me. I had to gauge the distance of cars, motorcycles, and busses, and think about where the safest place to stand would be once I got halfway across where the traffic went the other direction. I ended up choosing a spot by a pole, where I felt I could be seen by motorcycles turning to go the other way. Being a very light skinned person in Chennai gets me noticed, so no one ran over me, although I did get a few stares. I try not to look people in the eye so much (especially men, as it might be considered flirting) but I know that people stare at me a lot. It's a little bit weird.

For lunch we had a special treat: spicy crab. It was delicious, and I also ate fish and mutton curry. We have to eat all the meat in the house, as Mama and Mami are vegetarians right now, and don't want to have to throw away good food. Also, we don't want to eat too heavily tomorrow as we are coming home, and don't want to take any chances of having an upset tummy on the long trip back.

In the afternoon, I went to take advantage of Anni's Christmas gift to me: a facial. The lady at the salon washed my face, scrubbed it,  and put lots of different products on it to make it clean and soft. She also massaged my face and shoulders. It felt very nice. Afterwards, I came home and rested. My mom gave me several books on my Kindle for Christmas, so I have some good things to read.

Tonight is New Year's Eve. We spend time with family. There will be fireworks at midnight, and even though we will probably lie down early to rest, everyone gets up at midnight and takes a bite of cake, to bring sweetness into the New Year. I love this tradition, and I love my family. I am sad to have to leave Mama and Mami, Anni, and especially the boys. I will miss Chennai, and all of its charms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment