Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Right now, Santa Claus is probably popping into your house to bring you gifts. It's 3:30 in the morning in San Jose. Here in Chennai, however, it's almost 5 pm on Christmas day! This morning, after we showered and ate breakfast, my sister in law (Anni) and her husband (who in Indian tradition is now considered my brother) came over to open presents with us. We all shared some joy and cheer as we opened gifts together.

Last night, each member of our family added an ornament to the Christmas tree.
Afterwards, we sat together as a family as a family friend gave us a blessing to get rid of the evil eye, or any negativity that surrounds our family. It is a Hindu tradition. She lit a flame and circled us with it, surrounding us with the light of God.

I received many nice gifts, including a scarf Anni brought me all the way from Malawi, Africa. She and her husband travel all over the world for work. It's pretty incredible all the places they get to go.
Everyone was curious about the gifts they would get. Here the monkey inspects some chocolates.

The boys were excited with all the things they got. As a joke, Anni bought the Man Cub (who is 14) a copy of the book "The Princess Diaries." He made a funny face. Still, he was appreciative of his gifts. They also got clothes and video games.

I bought my husband a beautiful shirt in Singapore, as well as some nice cologne. He likes cologne a lot, so I usually buy him some every year.

Here I am wearing my silly Christmas hat. Raja wouldn't wear his hat, because he doesn't like to look silly as much as I do. Maybe that's why he's an engineer and I teach Kindergarten.
Later, Raja had to take his dad to a doctor's appointment, so we had KFC for lunch. Yes, they have KFC in India, and they deliver it right to your house! They brought the chicken to our house, and it was very yummy. After lunch I took a long nap. Then Anni, the boys and I had a contest of who could smoosh the other person the most by putting all of their weight on them. I love my family more than anything in the world.

I once saw a billboard here that said "Happy Infant Jesus Festival and Pongal" (Pongal is the winter harvest festival that happens every year on January 14.)
Here I am wearing a beautiful outfit I received as a gift from one of my students.
I felt very special this Christmas!

Happy Infant Jesus Festival to you all. May you enjoy your families today, and realize how lucky you are to have them close to you. I certainly feel lucky to have people I care about at home, abroad, and at my work every day.

I'll write more soon. Until then,

Be Good!


No comments:

Post a Comment